Friday 31 January 2014

Shoe box transformed...

So we needed to take a wooden box for this challenge with Creative Jump start 2014 but I didn't have one... I had a shoe box!! I taped the wholes closed. I then applied gesso to the box... The gesso said " I don't like the tape!!" It flaked off and didn't bind! I needed to find an alternative to cover the tape  so that the gesso could be applied... I did a layer of PGA glue... No go, with the gesso... So know the box had gesso on as a base I then painted it with midnight blue... Super stoked with the colour!!! So I hung back and enjoyed it for a few days before moving on to the next step....

  


 Then I tried Matt medium...still no go with the gesso!! At this point I was ready to dump my idea and just buy a box and start over but then I mixed the PVA & gesso together and applied it in the hope this would hold!!! When I woke up the following morning I was all to grateful to find that it worked!!
 
So know the box had gesso on as a base I then painted it with midnight blue... Super stoked with the colour!!! So I hung back and enjoyed it for a few days before moving on to the next step....
 
Know once all dry you take your candle and rub over your box well. This will create a resist for the next coat of paint. I then chose a yellow oxide to paint over the midnight blue. Once dry you will sand gentle to get your desired effect. Once sanding has been completed apply a coat of clear vanish. Two coats would be better than one but let the first dry before applying the second. Using your distress crackling apply two coats, then let it dry. Get a soft cloth and with brasso metal polish you apply a thin layer of the brasso on the box. The brasso will sit in the cracks. It doesn't take long to dry and it will have a white residue which needs to be rubbed off but will leave behind what needs to be in the cracks. I then used to different ribbons to embellish the main ribbon I put around the whole box the top ribbon I only added in front. I then used brads to add a bit of bling. My clock face I embossed and then I used perfect pearls to add colour  and placed a pearl in the centre of the face. On the left hand side I place a metal flower with gears over it and a key. I sprayed it plum purple and black tea to enhance it. On the top of the box it kitchen foil embossed in my cuttlebug with my butterfly spellbinders and I added a white butterfly.





Here you can see the 3 different boxes I have made for sprays, inks and my stamps...Love my boxes! These boxes are always a new challenge. Doing the crackle was different and I most certainly will do this again. Keep watching busy with my next one...
 
Happy box making
XXOO 

No comments:

Post a Comment